Monastery church of St. Adalbert, Broumov

Address: Klášterní 1, Broumov
Phone: +420 491 521 282
WWW: http://www.klaster-broumov.cz/

The modern visage of the church is the result of a late-baroque reconstruction. In 1726, abbot Zinke approved to completely remove the old building and a major part of the abbey and their substitution by a more modern building-projected by Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer. A gigantic building which crossed the borders of the original edifice was completed in only six years-1733. Dientzenhofer is also the author of interior design and decoration, painted by outstanding Praque baroque artists-Bernardo Spinetti, Jan Karel Kovář or Felix Antonin Scheffler. The oldest written note of the church is from 1357 when, most likely, the building of the gothic double-nave with a polygonal end and two towers-a big clock one and a bell one- was completed. After the fire of 1684 the church was baroquely rebuilt by Martin Allio in 1685-1688. The inner decoration is very richful and was painted by T and A. Soldato, J.J. Steinfels, M.V. Jäckel and K.J. Hiernle. V.V.Reiner painted the altar decoration and paintings.

 

Map >>
Photos >>

Interesting places in the surroundings





Partner:
Partner / Město Broumov